If the appropriate checkboxes are selected in the Post submit box when saving the Post, the plugin reads the EXIF data of the Post’s Featured Image and adds Post Tags and a custom meta value “location” containing the serialized GPS location data of the image.
- If the Post has no Featured Image, or if the Featured Image’s EXIF data is incomplete, then nothing happens.
- The EXIF data is read directly from the image file, not from a database entry.
- If standard values “GPSLongitude” and “GPSLatitude” are not available in the Featured Image’s EXIF data, the post will not be updated with the custom meta field. (A pre-existing value will not be deleted, if this happens.)
- When saving Post Tags, the standard taxonomy
post_tagis set. If you need to modify this, for example in the case of a custom taxonomy, then you can use the filter hook
update-post-with-exif-data/post_taxonomyto change it.
- If you want to see the custom meta value containing serialized GPS location data in the WordPress backend, you’ll need to parse the data and add this field yourself. A good solution for this is the “Advanced Custom Fields” plugin by Elliot Condon, with field type “Google Map”.
- Developers: see the code for a WordPress action hook
update-post-with-exif-data/no-gps, which fires in the event that there is no valid GPS data available in the Featured Image.
- Upload the plugin folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
Contributors & Developers
“Update Post with EXIF data” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Мүчөлөрү
Interested in development?
- Correct version number in README.
- Additional safeguards in the event of missing GPS data in the EXIF array.
update-post-with-exif-data/no-gpsaction hook to function
- Breaking change: filter hook
post_exif_data_taxonomyis now renamed
- Bugfix: check to ensure that both GPSLongitude and GPSLatitude are set before updating location meta.
- Add unique PHP namespace.
- Comply with PSR-2 coding standards.
- Add action to assist with debugging.
- Extend plugin description for better clarification.
- Confirmation of compatibility with WordPress 4.6.
- Fix typo in README.
- Confirmation of compatibility with WordPress 4.5.
- Replace hard-coded list of customized taxonomy keys with standard taxonomy
post_tag, and add filter to allow this
to be customized by third parties.
- Clean up code (whitespace, commenting).
- Corrections to version numbering in README/SVN.
- Confirmation of support in WordPress 4.4.2.
- No functional changes.
- Initial public version.