Members is a roles and capabilities based WordPress membership plugin. It gives your users the ultimate member experience by giving you powerful tools to add roles and capabilities and assign them to your users.
Members allows you to set permissions to restrict content on your site by providing a simple user interface (UI) for WordPress’ powerful roles and capabilities system, which has traditionally only been available to developers who know how to code this by hand.
- Role Editor: Allows you to edit, create, and delete roles as well as capabilities for these roles.
- Multiple User Roles: Give one, two, or even more roles to any user.
- Explicitly Deny Capabilities: Deny specific capabilities to specific user roles.
- Clone Roles: Build a new role by cloning an existing role.
- Content Permissions / Restricted Content: Protect content to determine which users (by role) have access to post content.
- Shortcodes: Shortcodes to control who has access to content.
- Widgets: A login form widget and users widget to show in your theme’s sidebars.
- Private Site: You can make your site and its feed completely private if you want.
- Plugin Integration: Members is highly recommended by other WordPress developers. Many existing plugins integrate their custom roles and capabilities directly into it.
Seamless MemberPress Integration
If you’re looking to build a business out of your membership site by creating paid memberships there’s no better way than to use MemberPress. Members and MemberPress work together to provide the ultimate member experience and will help you start and profit from your amazing WordPress membership sites!
All Add-ons are now included
Members now includes ALL of it’s add-ons completely free of charge! Here are some of the awesome features they add to Members:
- Block Permissions: Allows site owners to hide or show blocks based on user logged-in status, user role, or capability.
- Privacy Caps: Creates additional capabilities for control over WordPressâ€™ privacy and personal data features (GDPR).
- Admin Access: Allows site administrators to control which users have access to the WordPress admin via role.
- Core Create Caps: Adds the create_posts and create_pages caps to posts/pages to separate them from their edit_* counterparts, providing more flexible editing capabilities.
- Categories and Tag Caps: The Category and Tag Caps add-on creates custom capabilities for the core category and post tag taxonomies. This allows site owners to have precise control over who can manage, edit, delete, or assign categories/tags.
- Role Levels: Exposes the old user levels system, which fixes the WordPress author drop-down bug when users donâ€™t have a role with one of the assigned levels.
- Role Hierarchy: Creates a hierarchical roles system.
- ACF Integration: Creates custom capabilities for the Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) plugin for managing with the Members plugin.
- EDD Integration: Integrates the Easy Digital Downloads plugin capabilities into the Members plugin’s role manager.
- GiveWP Integration: Integrates the GiveWP and GiveWP Recurring Donations plugin capabilities into the Members plugin’s role manager.
- Meta Box Integration: Integrates the Meta Box plugin capabilities into the Members plugin’s role manager.
- WooCommerce Integration: Integrates the WooCommerce plugin capabilities into the Members plugin’s role manager.
For more info, visit the Members plugin home page.
Like this plugin?
The Members plugin is a massive project with 1,000s of lines of code to maintain. A major update can take weeks or months of work. We donâ€™t make any money directly from this plugin while other, similar plugins charge substantial fees to even download them or get updates. Please consider helping the cause by:
If you need professional plugin support from us, you can visit our support page.
If you’re a theme author, plugin author, or just a code hobbyist, you can follow the development of this plugin on it’s GitHub repository.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Go to “Settings > Members” to select which settings you’d like to use.
More detailed instructions are included in the plugin’s
Why was this plugin created?
I wasn’t satisfied with the current user, role, and permissions plugins available. Yes, some of them are good, but nothing fit what I had in mind perfectly. Some offered few features. Some worked completely outside of the WordPress APIs. Others lacked the GPL license.
So, I just built something I actually enjoyed using.
How do I use it?
Most things should be fairly straightforward, but we’ve included an in-depth guide in the plugin download. It’s a file called
readme.mdin the plugin folder.
You can also view the readme online.
Minimum PHP requirements.
Members now requires PHP 5.6+
I can’t access the “Role Manager” features.
When the plugin is first activated, it runs a script that sets specific capabilities to the “Administrator” role on your site that grants you access to this feature. So, you must be logged in with the administrator account to access the role manager.
If, for some reason, you do have the administrator role and the role manager is still inaccessible to you, deactivate the plugin. Then, reactivate it.
On multisite, why can’t administrators manage roles?
If you have a multisite installation, only Super Admins can create, edit, and delete roles by default. This is a security measure to make sure that you absolutely trust sub-site admins to make these types of changes to roles. If you’re certain you want to allow this, add the Create Roles (
create_roles), Edit Roles (
edit_roles), and/or Delete Roles (
delete_roles) capabilities to the role on each sub-site where you want to allow this.
Note: This change was made in version 2.0.2 and has no effect on existing installs of Members on existing sub-sites.
Help! I’ve locked myself out of my site!
Please read the documentation for the plugin before actually using it, especially a plugin that controls permissions for your site. We cannot stress this enough. This is a powerful plugin that allows you to make direct changes to roles and capabilities in the database.
You’ll need to stop by our support forums to see if we can get your site fixed if you managed to lock yourself out. I know that this can be a bit can be a bit scary, but it’s not that tough to fix with a little custom code.
Contributors & Developers
“Members – Membership & User Role Editor Plugin” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Мүчөлөрү
“Members – Membership & User Role Editor Plugin” has been translated into 18 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Members – Membership & User Role Editor Plugin” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
The change log is located in the
changelog.md file in the plugin folder. You may also view the change log online.